If you are using alcohol and have questions you should consider…
Talking to a medical professional or calling/texting/emailing anonymously to a service such as Kids Help Phone Counsellor
Fights, intimate partner violence, and child abuse.
Risky Sexual Behaviours
Unprotected sex, sex with multiple partners, and increased risk of sexual assault. This can result in unintended pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
A medical emergency that results from high blood alcohol levels. Can cause passing out, low blood pressure, low body temperature, coma, problems breathing, or even death.
Traffic injuries (drinking and driving), falls, drowning, burns, and unintentional firearm injuries.
Heart attack, heart disease and high blood pressure
Cancers of the head and neck, liver, colon, and breast. In general, the risk of cancer rises with increasing intake of alcohol. If you drink and smoke tobacco, the risk for certain cancers is even greater.
Alcohol dependence, depression, anxiety, and suicide
Unemployment, financial crisis, and family/friend problems.
Links to help you
- KNOW YOUR LIMITS AND PLAN AHEAD
- EAT BEFORE AND WHILE YOU DRINK
- SKIP A DRINK NOW AND THEN + SUBSTITUTE WITH NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINK
- THINK ABOUT YOUR REPUTATION + SAFETY OF OTHERS
- APPOINT A DESIGNATED DRIVER
- RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF INDIVIDUALS WHO DO NOT WISH TO DRINK
- KEEP TRACK OF HOW MANY DRINKS YOU ARE CONSUMING
- PLAN AHEAD FOR TRANSPORTATION – DON’T DRINK + DRIVE
- NEVER ACCEPT A DRINK FROM SOMEONE YOU DON’T KNOW + KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR DRINK
- ALCOHOL + SEX DO NOT MIX – DRUNKEN SEX IS NOT CONSENSUAL SEX
- CAREFUL WHAT YOU COMBINE, MOST DRUGS AND ALCOHOL DO NOT MIX WELL. BE SURE TO READ ALL WARNING LABELS
- IF YOU ARE PREGNANT, MIGHT BE PREGNANT, OR ARE ATTEMPTING TO BECOME PREGNANT, DO NOT CONSUME ANY TYPE OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE